LIVE TO CREATE

live to create

Monday, June 13, 2011

3-D Design


Chickadee. 2009. Wire and wood. 5" x 3" x 4".

My art teacher's challenge to my class was to create an animal using a single strand of wire without wrapping or overlapping the wire. I attempted this about seven times, making turtles, giraffes, pigs, and horses, until  I finally got his seal of approval. It is difficult to tell from the picture, but this work is essentially a 3-D contour drawing that must be admired from all angles to fully understand the concept. 


Flying Biker Pigs, Oh My! 2009. Ceramic and paint. 6" x 4" x 5".

This comical teapot always makes me smile! The only thing that I am really fond of in this work is the shocked expression that the pig wears...it is so cartoon-y and silly! Because this was an art assignment for a class, the teacher required at least 20 textural add-ons (I had to add the random spikes on the back and the awkwardly scaly texture of the body) which did not fit my original plan for this work.


Detail


Mountain Dew Mantis. 2009. Aluminum cans, wire, superglue. 8" x 5" x 5".

This little guy was a real challenge to make! Most of the skin on my fingertips fell victim to the clutches of superglue and I endured numerous can cuts. However, it was worth it. His head bobbles whenever he is moves and he just has a "fun" look to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment