LIVE TO CREATE

live to create

Monday, May 23, 2011

Line Shading Extravaganza!


Owl. 2009. Ink on paper. 14" x 18".


 Detail.


Detail.

I will just start off saying that I love my owl. A lot.

Alright. To do this piece, I started by spending about an hour with an art instructor. I then spent what felt like a thousand hours on my own shading and hatching and crosshatching and scribbling and dotting and on and on and on. In the end, though, I came away with a piece that I am very satisfied with because of the wide variety of textures and values.


Shelf Portrait. 2010. Ink on paper. 18" x 24".


Detail.


Detail.

This one nearly killed me. All of those little lines were done individually with a ruler over the course of about two months. It is still hard not to get a headache when I look closely at it. Thankfully, my obsessiveness paid off and landed me with a depth-filled portrait of myself (or myshelf?) using symbols of the meaningful things in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment